Re: HELP! Default date format in SQL*Plus isn't dd-mon-yy!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:52:12 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> "R" <R_at_R.R> wrote in message news:<9WC7a.349189$sV3.10572956_at_news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> > Naw... I should publish any opinion I like as this is my experience working
> > with Oracle so far. I've sent several enquiries to the folks at Oracle and
> > they haven't even bothered to send me a PFO message. The only reason that
> > I'm investigating Oracle is because it is in use at a couple of companies
> > for which I'm developing software. Maintaining a customer list of over one
> > million, each with several services, hardware inventories and service
> > schedules isn't something I'd trust to an Access database! : )
>
> I absolutely agree you should publish this opinion. Oracle is really
> bad at dealing with newbies. Of course, their answer is to sell you
> many thousands of dollars of training to find out how to set NLS
> parameters.
>
> When the little light comes on over your head understanding where the
> stuff was that people should have told you about, write a FAQ. Give
> it to orafaq.com and the other people who periodically put faq links
> here and tell them to put it on their welcome page. You _have_ looked
> for faqs, right?
>
> You are developing software for companies that use Oracle software and
> don't know anything about Oracle? Hmmmm...
>
> jg
> --
> @home is bogus.
> Lot's of money to be made cleaning up messes.

<rant>
Actually Oracle's answer is to encourage usenet groups, user groups, third-party vendors, universities, colleges, private education/instruction companies, and the largest pool of any authors for any RDBMS. Not to mention making huge amounts of documentation and support available for free on the web.

Does anyone expect to become an attorney without going to law school? Does anyone expect to become a physician without going to medical school? Does anyone expect to become an engineer? pharmacist? physicist? accountant without paying for schooling?
And yet some expect to become proficient with Oracle treating it like it is a word processor?
And some think Oracle owes them big-time for what is often working with free unlicensed software.

Stop with the attitude and invest in your education. You'll get no sympathy here. </rant>

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Mar 01 2003 - 00:52:12 CST