Re: UTL_FILE on multiple platforms

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:27:29 -0800

mobiGeek wrote:

> I need to have my PL/SQL package run on both Windows and Solaris. In
> my code, I am using utl_file to log debugging info.
>
> Currently my code looks like:
>
> v_dbg_file := utl_file.FOPEN( 'c:\tmp',
> 'utl_file_SetSynchScripts.txt', 'a' );
>
> Is there a generic way to have FOPEN create its file without
> specifying the directory?
>
> Failing that, is there a way that I can programmatically determine the
> OS (or the machine name) on which the code is running so I can do
> something like:
> IF [running_on_windows] THEN
> v_my_utl_directory := 'c:\tmp';
> ELSE
> v_my_utl_directory := '/tmp';
> END IF;
>
> Thanks in advance,
> greg_fenton.

Had you been kind enough to include a version number specific help would be possible.

Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look it up.

One generic possibility is to put the path into a table and then select it into a variable in your procedure. This type of table is very common in applications to hold license and other installation specific information. Remember that plenty of UNIX SysAdmins and DBAs are not going to want you using /tmp for the purpose you seem to intend. And I am one of them.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 10:27:29 CST