UTL_FILE on multiple platforms

From: mobiGeek <greg_fenton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 07:34:23 -0800

I need to have my PL/SQL package run on both Windows and Solaris. In my code, I am using utl_file to log debugging info.

Currently my code looks like:

  v_dbg_file := utl_file.FOPEN( 'c:\tmp',

                                'utl_file_SetSynchScripts.txt', 'a' );

Is there a generic way to have FOPEN create its file without specifying the directory?

Failing that, is there a way that I can programmatically determine the OS (or the machine name) on which the code is running so I can do something like:

   IF [running_on_windows] THEN

      v_my_utl_directory := 'c:\tmp';
   ELSE
      v_my_utl_directory := '/tmp';
   END IF; Thanks in advance,
greg_fenton. Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 09:34:23 CST