Re: size of temp segment?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 06:37:41 -0800

Jens Grivolla <j-news2003-02_at_grivolla.de> wrote in message news:<871y1soeur.fsf_at_msgid.grivolla.de>...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to do some tests on Oracle Intermedia, but I am unable to
> get my table indexed.
>
> I have a table consisting simply of two columns, a text document and
> its associated reference number. There are currently around 280,000
> documents (rows) in the table which amount to about 1.5 GB of text
> (don't know about the table size right now). I will need to work with
> at least three times that amount of data.
>
> Now, when I run "create index TEST_INDEX on TEST(text) indextype is
> ctxsys.context" it fails, apparently because of underdimensioned
> tablespaces (some of which got resolved by adding files to the
> tablespace). The latest one is (using DBD::Oracle from Perl):
>
> | DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: ORA-29855: error occurred in the execution of ODCIINDEXCREATE routine
> | ORA-20000: interMedia Text error:
> | DRG-50857: oracle error in drixtab.create_index_indexes
> | ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 18208 in tablespace DRSYS
> | ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 126
> | ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.TEXTINDEXMETHODS", line 78
> | ORA-06512: at line 1 (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute) at ./dbi_index.pl line 8.
>
> I am not an Oracle admin and the person in charge tells me that DRSYS
> is already pretty big (a few GB, and autoextend) and he's uneasy about
> making it bigger (done it a few times already).
>
> Would adding files to tablespace DRSYS (and making sure there's space
> on the partition) solve the problem? How can I determine the
> parameters to make it work?
>
> I can issue sql commands as the database manager, so I should be able
> to get any additional info that would be helpful. I am currently
> working with Oracle 8i (Linux) but I could switch to a different
> server we have with Oracle 9 (Windows).
>
> Ciao,
> Jens

Jens, I am not very familar with intermedia but a 01652 error means that Oracle was unable to allocate the extent so either the tablespace does need to have the amount of free space available expanded, or if this is a dictionary managed tablespace the next extent size being requested needs to be reduced down in size. Your DBA should recognize the problem from the above error list. If he or she does not want to expand the tablespace then perhaps one of the objects in the tablespace could be relocated elsewhere.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 08:37:41 CST