Re: Oracle locks

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 14:11:21 -0800

nodaris_at_tiscalinet.it (Stefano) wrote in message news:<fb6a39f3.0302260820.7365e4c8_at_posting.google.com>...
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E5BDA7F.EDC35DDF_at_exesolutions.com>...
>
> The business case is that I have to keep track of how much time is
> spent by a user on a specific record, by either editing or reviewing
> it. The tricky part is that the Client-Server application accessing
> the data is "off the shelf" and I can't modify the source code. To
> complicate even more they would like to keep track also of the time
> the users spend by simply viewing the record; they can infact open a
> case through the interface, review and close it withouth making any
> modification (but this time should be measured anyway).
> Being not able to see what's inside the client program, I discovered
> that at the Oracle level when a record is displayed on screen, the
> program locks it for update and therefore I thought that if I can keep
> track of when the lock is created and destroyed I can have the start
> and the end of the activity made on it, regardless of the action
> (insert, update or simply review).

Is this an application that the users are always going to have up during working hours? Tom Kyte's Expert One-on-One Oracle has a section on using autonomous transactions to audit select statements on tables. You could build an audit trail that way to show that user A pulled up customer 001's record at 9:01 am, 003's record at 9:07 am, etc. If the application is always up, or you're more interested in how frequently a user is accessing different records, you could say that user A spent at most 6 minutes looking at customer 001's record.

Justin Cave Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 16:11:21 CST