Re: good guess for final record number in SELECT?

From: Volker Apelt <gq437x_at_yahoo.de>
Date: 26 Feb 2003 21:48:33 +0100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com> writes:

> You could do an explain plan and Oracle might give you an estimate, but
> otherwise no. You would have to count the records then retrieve trhe data
> (which wil dramatically slow things down). See asktom.oracle.com for a
> discussion of this.
> Jim

You are talking about topic
  "Rows Estimate without executing the query which has joins on many   tables?"
aren't you?

You mean I should parse the 'Card' value of the 'explain plan' result?

If I read Tom's comment right this requires sqlplus and 'set autotrace traceonly explain' like in:

scott_at_ORA717DEV.US.ORACLE.COM> set autotrace traceonly explain scott_at_ORA717DEV.US.ORACLE.COM> select e1.*, e2.* from emp e1, emp e2;

How do I do that through an bound cursor? There is noone using sqlplus in parallel to our application.
Or, is the impression that 'set autotrace traceonly explain' and the resulting plan table is sqlplus specific wrong?

And please remember, these queries are not static.

--
Volker Apelt