Re: pl/sql tables memory usage

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:44:56 -0600

Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in news:xMu6a.147034$ce4.39704402 @twister.socal.rr.com:

> I don't know of any way to get the remaining memory figure from the
> database (it's an OS level quota you're hitting). I'd probably just
> figure out how much PGA was allocated before the error occurs and then
> back down from that figure.

If it's an O/S limit you're hitting, it's more than likely a per user limit. Depending on your shell you can try the shell built-in 'limit' to tweak your shell's limits against the O/S limits.

You'll always be bounded by the O/S so if you hit that limit and you haven't hit the O/S max, you'll need to reconfigure your kernel.

Here's an example in bash:

pablo_at_bird-1003-[pablo]: limit

cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         1527
openfiles       1024

pablo_at_bird-1004-[pablo]: limit stacksize unlimited pablo_at_bird-1005-[pablo]: limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       unlimited     <------------------
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         1527
openfiles       1024
--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com