9iAS Install/Configuration Recommendations

From: Jay Canha <jay.canha_at_yale.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:24:54 -0500

We are trying to install 9iAS R2 on a Win2000 server with Forms Services (but for Forms 6i) and Business Intelligence (for Oracle Reports).

Server:
Win2000 SP2
2 GB RAM
2 GHz Pentium
20 GB disk

Oracle Developer:
6i 6.0.8.15

Here are some questions we would appreciate feedback on:

Is it feasible to install and run 9iAS + Infrastructure + Forms Services + Business Intelligence on the same server? We would like to run web forms and web reports + serve pl/sql web apps and a few static web pages. Portal, Single Sign On, and any other extras are not required. Load is moderate < 50 concurrent users max, usually between 5 and 20.

Is there any guide regarding installing/configuring Forms 6i with 9iAS? Most info seems to be related to Forms 9i. I was able to get just 9iAS running but had problems with Forms 6i and Reports. Also, I would prefer to use Forms Servlet if possible due to Forms Server stability issues in 4.0.8.2. I have tried following the "9iAS Forms 6i Patch 9: Forms Listener Servlet for Deployment of Forms on the Internet" white paper, but still had problems.

How is the stability of Forms 6i with Forms Servlet and 9iAS for pl/sql apps?
We used to run OAS 4.0.8.2 with Forms Server, cgi Forms and Reports, OAS serving a few pl/sql cartridge apps, but ran into major stability problems. We are currently running OAS the original server, then Forms Server with WebDB listener on a separate small server, stability is better but still not that great.

Jay Canha Programmer/Analyst ITS-Med Information Systems Yale University School of Medicine