Re: Temporary Index Disable

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:43:35 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Randy Harris wrote:
> >
> > > What is the best method to temporarily disable indexes to perform a bulk
> > > data load? The 8i documentation shows a Disable, but I can't find any
> > > syntax that works. Should I just go ahead and drop the indexes then
> > > recreate them?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Randy Harris
> >
> > Indexes can not be disabled: Only dropped and recreated unless those
> > are associated with a constraint.
> >
> > How large is the data load?
>
> That's a darned good question. I've been examining the matter and beginning
> to think that the load is not big enough to warrant dropping and then
> recreating the indexes. I'm loading several tables every 15 minutes, but
> the biggest load is only about 20,000 records.
>
> > Daniel Morgan

I wouldn't drop indexes for 200,000 records ... probably not even for 2,000,000. These are very small loads.

Think about dropping indexes when, and only when, you have a performance problem you can't otherwise work around by tuning your import.

How are you doing the import? SQL*Loader? Stored procedure? Insert statements? Other?

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Feb 23 2003 - 22:43:35 CST