Re: Date formats

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:29:04 +0100

"Matty" <matt_at_slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk> wrote in message news:b3agdf$uq$1_at_newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi all.
>
> Just a quickie.... how do I change from one default date format (i.e.
> dd-mm-yy) to a desired format (mm/dd/yy) when writing the query.
>
> i.e
>
> SELECT emp.ENAME, emp.HIREDATE
> FROM emp
>
> I cannot seem to find much reference to this anywhere.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Matty

Ah, but you do know how to crosspost excessively do you? PLEASE stop doing that!! NOW!!!

alter session set nls_date_format
or setting nls_date_format as env var (Unix) or in the registry (Winblows) all do the tric.
However, you're strongly advised to use an explicit date format *everywhere* and not rely on local users defaults. I guess all that typing is asked a bit too much for you, but anyway, I faced the nasty consequences of others not doing so several times.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA