Re: Oracle 9iAS Server Configuration Suggestions

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:00:35 +0100

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:11:47 +1100, Ian Stephenson wrote:

> I am having difficulty finding information on the Oracle site regarding a
> suitable server configuration to run Oracle 9i, 9iAS and Portal. I'm
> limited in the O/S platform which can be supported internally to MS Server
> 2000 - sadly no Unix. There is a link on the Oracle site back to HP/Compaq
> however the solution for Portal only specifies a single server. What about
> application & database servers? Also, I'm unsure whether the caching server
> is a necessity and if so what sort of specification. The number of
> concurrent users is initially expected to be 200 however this may grow. I
> have approached our local Oracle sales rep and also a local vendor for
> comment but would value your opinions based on fact rather than as a
> potential sale. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Stephenson
> (Please remove brackets around @ when replying)
>
> "Me? I'm just a lawn mower. You can tell me by the way I walk."

Ideally, 9iAS should be installed on two machines:

Machine A: the portal code and ldap stuff for single sign on Machine B: he Application server itself

Both installations will have an ohs (Oracle's Apache version). I have run both of the servers on a single laptop, and it performs relatively well in a GB of RAM. You cannot entirely get rid of the cache, but you can configure it to use, say 128MB RAM instead of the initial 512 MB.

And you will be glad you have it, because it lets the machine look very lively when most of the pages are in the cache.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Fri Feb 21 2003 - 10:00:35 CST