Re: improving performance in a decision support database

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:41:50 GMT

You don't provide enough information to answer your question. There are so many possibilities that it is near impossible. I suggest the following:
1. Buy Tom Kyte's book (go to asktom.oracle.com) it is invaluable (about $50)
2. Install statspack and take some performance snapshots. 3. WAG - your sort area size is probably too small. But stats pack would reveal this (sorts to disk)
4. WAG - Coming from Sybase you might be using a lot of temporary tables in stored procs. If so Oracle does not need such a cruch and will run a lot slower if you are dynamically creating and dropping tables. 5. WAG You are probably doing searches like select ... from .. where name = upper('jim') and thus forcing a full table scan - (so you can have a case insensitive queries). Create a function based index. 6. Think of the training or consultant issue like this: People's time waiting for things to happen (in the app) is less valuable than spending some money to fix the problem. (take the cost of a consultant or training and divide it by (# of people waiting * time each one waits* # of times this is going to happen until it is fixed) It makes it look like those people's time is worthless.

Post the stats pack results.
Post the explain plan and tkprof of those things that are slow. Jim