Re: Should I use Data Guard? Oracle 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:56:29 +0100

"Thomas" <rthomtxl_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:ebd4de75.0302190746.6fcebe87_at_posting.google.com...
> Our production database grows way too big for online reporting.
>
> The idea is to have a standby database on a different machine. This
> standby database *must* be cumulative in nature. It must contain all
> the data that ever existed in the prodution database -- when older
> records in the production database are deleted, they should not be
> deleted in the standby.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Is Dataguard the best way to have a standby with Oracle 9i? If
> not, what do you suggest?
>
> 2) can Dataguard be configured to propagate only updates and inserts,
> but not deletes?

  1. Yes. Don't trust 3rd party vendors
  2. No, but why bother. The only thing that gets shipped to the standby database are the changed bytes. If you can't afford that (and guessing from your desire to set up a stand by database for reporting purposes) you have other way more serious problems

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA