Re: Looking for Oracle-Benchmark tool

From: Mike <mike_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:16:01 +0000

In message <b2u4p7$dqm$04$1_at_news.t-online.com>, Thomas <usenet_at_hoerndlein.de> writes
>Hello,
>
>I want to compare the behavior between oracle-databases running on a 4 CPU
>Sun-Solaris Server and 4CPU HP-UX Machine. The SGA-sizing on both machines
>is almost identical. I want to do a stress test which causes a high CPU-Load
>for a given period of time and determine the processed transactions. Does
>somebody know useful Tools or Scripts for this?
>
>I would be grateful for any help,
>
>Thomas

Thomas

I had a similar task recently, needed to compare the system test environment against production to estimate live run times. The aim was to produce a simple factor to say that a job running for n minutes on the system test would run for M minutes in production.

There are some products out there that cover the OTLP market but nothing that I could find for batch system.

To cut a long story short I didn't find any suitable product on the market so put together a set of pl/sql scripts with a large throughput of transactions and comparison of similar operations.

I skewed the tests to the underlying process so it was very specific to the problem at hand and not much use to anyone else.

Use of glance on hp-ux and equivalent on Solaris, if there is one, will give you a better view of system performance.

Don't forget to take into account caching, ideally you'd want to stop and then start the database before a run, to ensure you start with a clean sheet.

I could probably write a book on this area but that should be enough for you to be going on with !

Cheers

Mike Cox Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 09:16:01 CST