Re: Newbie needs help

From: Michael Gruetzner <spam.Michael_Gruetzner_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:50:49 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:
> Michael Gruetzner wrote:
>

>>Alistair Thomson wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>You're just about there. Connected to an idle instance means that it's
>>>closed / shut. Type startup and Oracle will open and then you can create a
>>>user etc...
>>>
>>>Alistair
>>>

>>Ok, I typed startup, but now I get the following errors:
>>ORA-0178: failure in processing system parameters
>>LRM-00123: invalid character 2 found in the input file
>>
>>What input file does it mean??
>>
>>Thanks Michael

> It likely means there is something wrong with the init.ora or the resulting
> spfile.
>
> Did you create the initSID.ora and/or the spfile or are they the default from
> the installation?

I created a file called initdb1.ora and edited it(db_name=db1;control_files=(db1_control1, db1_control2)). Then I started sqlplus and executed "connect / as sysdba" and "startup nomount"(it works now). After that, I get some Information about "System Global Area", "Fixed size", etc.
I think this looks good.
Now I try "create database db1;". This takes a while and it ends with: "ERROR at line 1:
  ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced"

This is where I'm stuck now ;-(.

Michael Received on Mon Feb 17 2003 - 12:50:49 CST