Re: MAX SIZE FOR A VARCHAR2 Column type

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:36:18 -0800

sujaykumar_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anybody specify the max size for a varchar2 column type? What are the
> disadvantages of alloting max size for a VARCHAR2 column? I have a need to
> store more than 20KB of string, and was wondering an easy way of doing it.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Sujay Kumar

Clarity is lacking in your post so I'll just throw out possible answers and hopefully one will help. Next time you post include your version and edition.

Oracle 8.0 and before ... max size for VARCHAR2 is 2K. Oracle 8i and after ... max size for VARCHAR2 is 4K if you want to store 20K then you need a CLOB if your version supports it: Otherwise LONG.

If you can figure out how to specify a VARCHAR without the max size I'd like to see it.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 18:36:18 CST