Re: multilangual problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:16:02 +0100

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:54:57 GMT, "Danny Stollé" <d.stolle_at_info.inf> wrote:

>I was thinking in several solutions:
>1. only one table containing an IDLNG and the FIELDS: IDCAT, NL, GE, UK, FR
> and a Category table having IDCAT and CAT
>2. per category a language table

Both designs do not adhere to any normal form You would need
1 One table with languages (languagecode, language , preferably using the 2 or 3 digit ISO code as primary key) 2 One table with categories
3 One table with the mapping between languages and categories, showing which report is available in which language.

Your design will get you into trouble as soon as Italian, Danish, Spanish, Portuguese and so on is added, because you would need to ALTER your table everytime.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 03:16:02 CST