Re: Total beginner querying oracle tables

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:53:19 GMT

You probably do have sqlPlus you just don't know it. Look in the bin directory where Oracle is installed on your machine. There is probably an exe sqlplusw.exe or something similar. Daniel is correct, get someone there to give you a 15 minute run down on what sqlplus is. The problem is that you are coming from such a position of not knowing that it is difficult to assist you. You need some basics that most DBA's could cover with you. (and if you are connecting to their database with any tool, especially accessm then they should know that.) Unfortunately, MS Access has its own screwy way of doing things and so puts people into a position of knowing something about Access but not about commercial quality RDBMS's. If the table isn't in the Oracle database then it is probably the problem. Oracle knows nothing about some local Access table so when you ask it to put its data into it it is looking in its data dictionary and doesn't find the table. So it gives you an error message which makes perfect sense. (table or view does not exist, cause it does not as far as Oracle is concerned.)

You will be far better off learning how to use sqlplus and some non-GUI tools to write queries than a GUI tool. Why? With a GUI tool they make certain assumptions and simplifications that can often lead to results that you did not expect. Learn to write them without a GUI tool, you will be able to write queries far faster and with more precision, accuracy, and power than any GUI tool can do for you. Yes, I have used Access, and if I use it to do queries then I just type the sql in myself and use pass through queries. I never use the query builder. Subsequently, I can usually meet some complex business requirement far faster than those that muck around with the GUI tool and my query usually performs fairly well.

Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure

> > Does testtable exist? If not then that's the problem. Does
AHVZDIS_DIS_D