Re: No "create domain" command in oracle

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2003 06:53:54 -0800

Axel Seinsche <newsgroup_at_seinsche.net> wrote in message news:<b2ii9e$d8v$05$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Sönke Petersen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm missing the CREATE DOMAIN command in Oracle.
> > Didn't find it in the Oracle documentation.
> >
> > Does it not exist?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sönke
> >

> The domains I know from JDeveloper are Object types
> created with CREATE TYPE ....
>
> Axel

Sonke, what is your definition of domain? The first time I ever heard the term it was in relation to the domain of the data, that is, the valid range of values for a column.

In data warehousing the term had been used to describe the relationship represented in Oracle by a dimension, see create dimension, if you are talking about the "parent-child relationship between pairs of column sets" (ver 8 SQL manual).

I have also heard the term used as a synonym for schema which in Oracle is basically a user id that owns objects.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 08:53:54 CST