Re: 2Gb Exp problems 8.1.7

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:28:28 +0100

Information Services wrote:

>>I know that there were issues with Oracle 7 export and the 2Gb file
>>limit, are they still there with 8.1.7?
>>I'm having problems with my export, and although I'll be hassling the
>>sysadmins about it, I need to know if its a problem at the oracle end.
>>OS is Sun Solaris 8.
>>Thanks
>>Geoff
>>Geoff Reader
>>Admin Computing
>>University of Brighton

> The errors I'm getting are EXP-00015 and EXP-00002, and when I look at the
> file size using ls -l, I see 2Gb. I saw the metalink article quoted by
> peter which referred to Oracle 7, and I wondered if this is still an issue
> for 8i.
> Strangely in the space of a week, I'm getting the same problem on an old
> 7.3.4 instance and a 8.1.7 instance.
> I've spoken to the sysadmins now, and they have set up (brand new 880's -
> doh!) the servers' filesystems with large files disabled. While they try
> and sort out something I need a work around, as my exports are not good.
> Everything I need is being backed up, but when I run an import it hangs
> after importing the data, it seems confused as the file end isn't there.
> Setting multiple files in the par file seems the way, forward, I'll look
> into that. I hadn't noticed that when I'd looked in the past. Seems a
> lot easier than named pipes (as recommended by Tom Kyte).
> Thanks
>
> Geoff
> Geoff Reader
> Admin Computing
> University of Brighton

2^32 = 4GB. Seems natural. Some OS's go around it by addressing blocks, where a block could be anything from 512byte (many *nix's) to 16kB ("Large Disk Support" on M$ Win - an 8 bit OS)

Must have something to do with that.
Could some OS guru elaborate on why some OS's only handle 2GB? Seems to me these must be 31 bit then. (AIX 4.x had a special 'add-on' to go beyond 2GB, looked like the MSB was enabled, so to speak)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel