Re: lost table name

From: Andrew Allen <andrew.allen_at_handleman.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:54:25 GMT

Mark D Powell wrote:

> Andrew Allen <ajallen_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3E4B21C4.171392A5_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net>...
>

>>Jerry Preston wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>I am trying to get the table name.
>>>
>>>I have ran sql in sqlplus on the server the oracle 7.1.3 is installed:
>>>
>>> select table_name from all_tables;
>>>
>>>I get the following:
>>>
>>>TABLE_NAME
>>>------------------------------
>>>DUAL
>>>SYSTEM_PRIVILEGE_MAP
>>>TABLE_PRIVILEGE_MAP
>>>STMT_AUDIT_OPTION_MAP
>>>AUDIT_ACTIONS
>>>PSTUBTBL
>>>USER_PROFILE
>>>ROSSTRINGS
>>>ROSLFDESC
>>>ROSTFDESC
>>>ROSOBJMAP
>>>
>>>TABLE_NAME
>>>------------------------------
>>>ROSSEQUENCES
>>>
>>>I have looked under oracle/oradata/xxx/rbs and found rbs01.dbf.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how I can find the owner and tables for the oners?
>>>

>>Login as system or any user with dba role and . . .
>>select owner, table_name from dba_tables;
>>
>>rbs01.dbf is a/the file upon which resides the rbs (rollback)
>>tablespace. What is rollback? Read the book, any oracle book.
>

> Andrew could have also mentioned that the all_tables view also
> contains the owner column.

But the ..._TABLES views differ significantly. USER_TABLES shows only tables owned by the current user ALL_TABLES shows only tables to which the current user has permissions DBA_TABLES shows all tables
That is why I suggested logging in to an account with dba privileges so the he could see all of the tables because he might not have privileges on the tables he is looking for under his current account.
--
Andrew Allen