Re: ORA-22866 & CLOB

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:30:20 GMT

lamer2000_at_hotmail.com said...
> Hello,
> I have several tables, which use CLOB datatype. When I am trying to create
> this tables on certain Oracle servers in some cases but not always I
> receiving ORA-22866 error. Is there any server settings i can change or any
> other way to resolve this problem?
>
> --
> Sincerely, Alexander Fedorov

The following article:

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle8i/htdocs/faq_combined1.html

has this to say:

<quote>
My database character set is UTF8, I need to create a table with CLOB, NCLOB datatype, but I got error message: "ORA-22866: default character set is of varying width"?

The compatible parameter for your database is set to 8.0.5 (or lower). Edit the init.ora parameter file with a compatible parameter of 8.1.0 or higher. Your database has a character set of UTF8, a variable width character set. In versions previous to Oracle8i, this restricted the use of CLOB datatypes.
</quote>

--
/Karsten