Re: 2Gb Exp problems 8.1.7

From: Peter van Rijn <pgm.van.rijnRM_at_THIShccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:09:42 +0100

> > I know that there were issues with Oracle 7 export and the 2Gb file
> > limit, are they still there with 8.1.7?
>
> To my knowledge, this never was an issue with Oracle. It was an issue with
> Unix cooked file systems not being able to be larger than 2GB (probably
> something to do with the ionode data type size).

Oracle 7's "exp" really couldn't export to files larger than 2Gb. At least, many of the exp-utilities I knew couldn't. As Richard Powell explained in Note 62427.1:

<quote>
Today most platforms support large files and have 64bit APIs for such files.   Releases of Oracle from 7.3 onwards usually make use of these 64bit APIs but

  the situation is very dependent on platform, operating system version and

  the Oracle version. In some cases 'large file' support is present by

  default, while in other cases a special patch may be required.

  At the time of writing there are some tools within Oracle which have not

  been updated to use the new API's, most notably tools like EXPORT and

  SQL*LOADER, but again the exact situation is platform and version specific.

</quote>

hth,

Peter Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 17:09:42 CST