Problem connecting Oracle from Windows service

From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer_at_softron.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:17:35 +0100

Hi newsgroup,

I have a problem connecting an Oracle DB via ODBC from a Windows service. The details:
Our application has a "client" (a normal interactive Windows application) and a "server" (a Win32 service). Both are running on the same machine. Both connect to a remote Oracle DB using ODBC. Usually this works fine, but on one computer we have a problem: The client connects, but the server won´t. The ODBC driver pops up with a message:

"The Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed."

The <ORA_HOME>\bin directory is in the search path (system environment variable PATH) (if I remove it from the search path, I get the same error e.g. when opening an ODBC DSN in the ODBC admin that uses the Oracle driver).
The service application runs under the same user account that is used for interactive login.

Any suggestions why the ODBC driver, called by the interactive application, finds the Oracle client, but called by the server application, it does not?

Versions:
Windows: NT 4.0
Oracle: 9.2.1.0.0
ODBC driver: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle 2.573.9030.00

Thanks in advance,

Matthias Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 07:17:35 CST