Re: Help inserting values into table using a subquery

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 08 Feb 2003 17:20:47 +1100

 Ed> D Newsham wrote:

 Ed> But actually I don't fault you. I dislike the syntax presentation
 Ed> in the Complete Reference (CR). The regular ORACLE documentation
 Ed> does it MUCH better.

 Ed> (uses connection arrows and such. Makes "OR" cases much more
 Ed> visible. In fact now that I say that, the CR could have done this  Ed> better just by using multiple lines as:

 Ed> { VALUES (expresseion [,expression]...)  Ed> | query...)

Actually, I find the way syntax is expressed in the Oracle manuals extremely frustrating. The problem for me is they use little graphics to do this and I'm a blind user. My screen reading software can read text, but cannot interpret graphicccs. Most of the time, its OK because I can work it out from the examples. However, form time to time I end up spending ages working out the exact syntax and that can be very irritating.

My point, apart from a moan, is two fold. Firstly, if I ever post a syntax question, I hope nobody jumps down my throat because of assumptions they are making about me and secondly, its good to remember what is clear, concise and obvious to one may not necessarily be to another and its not necessarily a reflection of ability etc.

Tim

--
Tim Cross