Re: Oracle 9i AS on Linux

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 08 Feb 2003 17:11:45 +1100

 Roger> Philippe wrote:

>> On 07 Feb 2003 10:15:06 GMT, Sander Goudswaard
>> <sander_at_example.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Currently the supported platforms include RedHat Advanced Server
>> >2.1 and SuSE SLES 7.
>> >
>> >Sander
>>
>> btw can be bought quite cheap, for testing purposes, i thought it
>> was 60 dollar ?

 Roger> Sorry Phillipe, I think your confused. SuSE Enterprise Linux
 Roger> lists for $750US and the last time I looked at RH Advanced
 Roger> Server it was about $2500US. This is why I need to "prove the
 Roger> concept". They won't spend this kind of money with out
 Roger> evidence it's going to succeed in *our* environment with *our*
 Roger> applications. If you or anyone else will give me a complete
 Roger> refund of the purchased price if the Local Oracle DBA's don't
 Roger> like it, then I'll order a copy today! If not, then I don't
 Roger> want to go there and have to haggle with either Red Hat or
 Roger> SuSE once they have my money! And I do mean my money since I'm
 Roger> not going to get a dime from my company yet!

 Roger> However, if it does work, I know I'm going to need at least
 Roger> two copies of the OS since we plan to put 9iAS on one machine,
 Roger> and upgrade the back end Databases to 9i as well and it will
 Roger> all be under Vendor support when we go into production. For
 Roger> performance and flexibility, two machines will be used. All I  Roger> need to get working is the 9i AS on what I have.
 Roger> So far, what I'm trying to do looks impossible so I'll
 Roger> probably just drop it and announce failure to the Development
 Roger> group here. Oh well, I gave it my best! I'll have to admit it
 Roger> was a great learning experience, however.

I have two suggestions

  1. contact RedHat. Tell them what the situation is and see if they are prepared to provide a trial version (try the same sith SuSE).
  2. I'm afraid I cannot remember what platform you are trying to get it working on. However, you will probably have best results if you DO NOT use the latest redhat. The enterprise server is updated less frequently than the latest releases - the aim is stability rather than bleeding edge. So, try it on something like 7.2 and you are more likely to have success than with 8.0

If you go to the redhat site, you can probably get a listing of the packages and versions which are in the advanced server version. Try to just use a standard version which has pretty much the same packages - especially C libraries, compiler and kernel. I think the chances are very high you will get it to work.

(Note that at present, some linux distributions are moving to a new major C library verison and a new major gcc version, so things which are support on one platform may not owrk on a later version which has the more recent libraries and compiler).

Tim

--
Tim Cross