Re: How to post?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2003 17:36:21 -0800

thorsten.kettner_at_web.de (Thorsten Kettner) wrote in message news:<74a9c367.0302070004.18f27c9_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, I am rather new to this forum. I use Google Groups for reading and
> posting. Is this recommended?

Welcome to the group!

Google is fine, I post from it all the time even though @home went away a long time ago (although I can't easily cancel...). I prefer slrn (on linux character mode) myself, but reality usually means I'm not on my home box. The windoze black on white that google seems to prefer burns my eyeballs.

Here's a link that describes these groups:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/oraclech.htm

You may see some cranky postings in these groups, but they are so well used and self-policed that they have an extremely high signal-to-noise ratio. So be sure and read the various faqs like http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&th=33733079b9a37d98&seekm=b1rgiq%24kqk%241%248300dec7%40news.demon.co.uk#link38 , use google to check your question before posting, and then ask away!  I for one like to see newbies ask questions, it reminds one that there are various viewpoints in the world.

> The problem is: Google sometimes just mirrors existing newsgroups and
> when posting a question or answer through Google this is only visible
> in this mirror, i.e. only Google readers can see it and all the others
> not (this is true for example for Borland groups - and it's really
> annoying).

Yeah, there are some local groups that don't get searched too.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
usenet is unreal.