Re: Can't connect to Oracle server

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:53:44 GMT

tom_hummel_at_hotmail.com said...
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to set up a connection between a MS SQL Server
> and an Oracle database. The Oracle client tools are installed on the
> machine and I've copied the appropriate entry from my own tsnames.ora
> file to the same file on the SQL Server. I am able to connect to the
> server from my own machine. However, I can't connect to Oracle from
> the SQL Server. I always get the ORA-12154 error (TNS:could not
> resolve service name).
>
> I tried going into the Net8 Configuration Assistant, but it was
> completely useless. If I select the "Local Net Service Name
> configuration" and click the "Next" button nothing happens, despite
> the fact that the button is enabled. Actually, something happens - the
> button clicks. The window remains the same.
>
> I tried going into the "Net8 Assistant", clicked on the "Local"
> subtree and then clicked on the "Service Naming" subtree. Nothing
> listed under there, so I tried to add a listing. Once again, despite
> the button for adding being enabled and the Edit->Create menu being
> enabled, neither of them actually did anything.
>
> Any thought or ideas? I have almost no Oracle experience, so please
> include as many details as you can.
>
> Thanks!
> -Tom.

I assume you meant that you have Oracle client installed on the same server as you have SQL Server, so you're doing an Oracle to Oracle connection.

When you said you "copied the appropriate entry" do you mean you manually did that, with an editor? If so, are you sure you copied the *entire* entry, all the left and right parens? Oracle is very finicky about this file, and often won't report any syntax errors (but will just ignore the entry). Since Net8 Assistant (much better at what you want to do than the Net8 Configuration Assistant) is acting like you say, it sounds like it's attempting to process the file, but doesn't know what to do with a syntax error. Carefully count the parens and compare the entry in your SQL Server server's tnsnames.ora to another *working* file.

If you can't see a syntax error, maybe you could post the entry on this NG. Sometimes those of us who've looked at tnsnames.ora entries till we're blue in the face, might spot something amiss.

--
/Karsten