Re: Oracle 9i AS on Linux

From: Roger Atkinson <roger.atkinson_at_cubic.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:15:29 -0800

Philippe wrote:

> On 07 Feb 2003 10:15:06 GMT, Sander Goudswaard <sander_at_example.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Currently the supported platforms include RedHat Advanced Server 2.1 and
> >SuSE SLES 7.
> >
> >Sander
>
> btw can be bought quite cheap, for testing purposes, i thought it was
> 60 dollar ?

Sorry Phillipe, I think your confused. SuSE Enterprise Linux lists for $750US and the last time I looked at RH Advanced Server it was about $2500US. This is why I need to "prove the concept". They won't spend this kind of money with out evidence it's going to succeed in *our* environment with *our* applications. If you or anyone else will give me a complete refund of the purchased price if the Local Oracle DBA's don't like it, then I'll order a copy today! If not, then I don't want to go there and have to haggle with either Red Hat or SuSE once they have my money! And I do mean my money since I'm not going to get a dime from my company yet!

However, if it does work, I know I'm going to need at least two copies of the OS since we plan to put 9iAS on one machine, and upgrade the back end Databases to 9i as well and it will all be under Vendor support when we go into production. For performance and flexibility, two machines will be used. All I need to get working is the 9i AS on what I have.

So far, what I'm trying to do looks impossible so I'll probably just drop it and announce failure to the Development group here. Oh well, I gave it my best! I'll have to admit it was a great learning experience, however.

Thanks, Roger A.