Re: Help inserting values into table using a subquery

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:29:03 GMT

D Newsham wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ctq54vkv3vsu8s13cbhfs8vrcfpc2294e2_at_4ax.com>...
>

>>Yes, it is, and you are recommended to look up the proper syntax
>>before posting, as this is a mere syntax question.
>>

> ...no kidding, aren't most of them that get posted? Don't you think
> somebody would look up syntax, and thoroughly search through the
> newsgroups before posting a "mere syntax" question?

No, most of the questions are not simple syntax questions.

> Here's what my "Oracle 8i The Complete Reference" says about Insert
> statements on page 1110:
>
> INSERT INTO [user.]table [(column [,column]...)]
> VALUES (expresseion [,expression]...) | query...);
>
> and from this syntax model, I built my query.
>
> Sheesh. Give a person who might not know *quite* as much as you do
> about Oracle a little bit of a break.

SO you had the answer all along:
  { VALUES (expresseion [,expression]...) | query...) which should be read

   VALUES (expresseion [,expression]...) OR query...

Maybe yours had a typo. Mine (with the opening { curly brace) was on page 1111. and there is an example on page 1112.

But actually I don't fault you. I dislike the syntax presentation in the Complete Reference (CR). The regular ORACLE documentation does it MUCH better. (uses connection arrows and such. Makes "OR" cases much more visible. In fact now that I say that, the CR could have done this better just by using multiple lines as:
  { VALUES (expresseion [,expression]...)     | query...)

Try not to get too upset, especially when Sybrand DID give you the help you sought. He merely chided you a little. You might tell him "thank you".

--
Ed Prochak
running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/