Re: Oracle 9i AS on Linux

From: Roger Atkinson <roger.atkinson_at_cubic.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:08:29 -0800

Sander Goudswaard wrote:

> Roger Atkinson <roger.atkinson_at_cubic.com> wrote in news:3E43139D.90245BB8
> @cubic.com:
>
> [...]
> > So, now I'm turning to the Guru's to see if anyone can help this newbie
> > finish this install. If I get my concept machine at least verifiable,
> > then we'll invest in the certified OS's (RedHat or SuSE) and build a
> > production machine. Could the OS still be the problem? This really looks
> > like an internal Oracle problem but what do I know.
>
> If you are a newbie, Roger, why not consider using a _supported_ platform
> for installing the software on? Once it works and you feel like fiddling
> with it, you can try an unsupported, uncertified platform. Which gives you
> a starting point for making changes.
>
> Currently the supported platforms include RedHat Advanced Server 2.1 and
> SuSE SLES 7.

I understand and I agree. However, at this point in time that is not an option. We currently have Oracle 8i AS running under win2K with the infrastructure hosted on True64. The in house support people for these platforms have not had good experiences getting 9i AS up and running on either of these platforms. The details of this are not important.

In communicating with our Oracle support Rep. it was indicated that we should really look into putting the 9i AS on a linux platform and I am the only one currently with the Linux experience to make this happen. The VP of IT will only move a head with a supported Linux platform (IE: spend more money) if the concept and beta site can be verified for functionality and stability. I have no doubt that Linux is up to the task and I look forward to the purchase of (probably) RH Advanced Server for the production environment.

None the less, the VP of IT will just stay at 8i AS on his existing platforms if he can't prove that it is worth moving ahead with the Linux platform. I've been given a machine to do what I can, I've been given Oracle CD's to do what I can, if this fails or doesn't work, the machine will be taken from me and Win2K Advanced Server will probably be put on it. I don't want to see that happen, and if I didn't have the support of our in house Oracle DBA's I wouldn't even be working this.

So, please, no more about "just get a supported platform" I already know where this leads. Once again, does anyone have a similar setup to mine, and is it worth trying to continue in this manner? If the answer is, "It will most definitely work" then I've got some more digging to do. If on the other hand, if more experienced people than I can't get this to work either, then there is no point in my continuing with this under the ground rules that have been put in front of me.

I personally think it will work and therefore it will work better and more efficient under a supported platform, when I get to setup the production site. Again, this is not a production site, it is only for "dog and pony" proof of concept, with our Oracle Apps.

Thanks, Roger A.