Re: Replacing Jserv with Tomcat

From: Sander Goudswaard <sander_at_example.com>
Date: 07 Feb 2003 10:12:46 GMT

jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com (John) wrote in

> Thanks. I was thinking that Tomcat may be more "universal" than OC4J,
> and it may be more compatible with most web servers. So if I learn how
> to deal with Tomcat I may have fewer issues to deal with down the
> road. Or maybe this is just a misconception?

Well, OC4J should at least be open - furthermore it's still being enhanced and fully supported by Oracle Support, where Tomcat is not. It depends on the way you want to follow yourself.

Consider reading the review at
http://archive.devx.com/appserver/articles/sf0901/sf0901-1.asp - the Orion application server was obtained by Oracle, and developed further as OC4J. Another comparison between OC4J and Tomcat can be found at http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/oc4j/pdf/java_performance_results.pdf

(and google...)

Sander Received on Fri Feb 07 2003 - 04:12:46 CST