Re: DBMS_PIPE Waits

From: dbuckingham <member8912_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:52:02 +0000

Thanks for the previous help.

Looking at the issue further and investigating a bit more how the DBMS_PIPE functionality works, I believe that the issue defiantly lies in the fact that the pipe is being filled up to capacity quicker than that which it can be read from (identified also by Vladimir in previous post).

Unfortunately due to the nature of the program that I am working with, I do not have access to the actual code of the receiving transaction. (however I am working trying to change this) As a result I want to try and tune the pipe with what I do have access to.

I know that you can increase the size of the actual pipe itself (I think they can be sized up to 2GB in size). However, can you actually play with the size of the buffers that the pipe also interacts with. IS it possible to increase not just the pipe but also the buffers that PACK_MESSAGE writes to and UNPACK_MESSAGE reads from?

I know that I can resize the pipe by increasing the value of the maxpipesize variable but I have not seen anything indicating the resizing of these buffers (or are they directly a result of the pipe size?)

If it turns out that I can get access to this other code, what should I be looking for in regards to speeding up the way the second transaction reads from the buffer? Can you tune the RECEIVE_MESSAGE or UNPACK_MESSAGE variables?

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.