Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:35:31 -0800

NorwoodThree wrote:

> This is just my own speculation, but regardless of what Sun says, I
> have found the latest Intel chips to be faster then their Sparc
> counterparts.
>
> However, Intel seems to have issues when more than 2 chips are
> implemented. So, I would say that if you need 8 chips or even six go
> w/ Sparc.
>
> Another thing to consider, is that Solaris is the premeire platform
> for Oracle. Oracle develops, tests, and releases on Solaris first.
>
> There are way too many factors to consider, but I'd say that going
> with Solaris on a V880 definately would be a good way to go and reduce
> risk.
>
> just my .02

And another important factor to consider is the quality of the SysAdmins that administer the machines. Even if the platforms were identical in stability, security, scalability, performance, and cost I think there would be little disagreement over the statement that Windows SA's are generally not as knowledgeable and as well trained as UNIX SA's.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 14:35:31 CST