Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: Harvey <harveyb999_at_beliveau.cc>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:20:29 GMT

"P.M. Groen" wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>
> -----------------*<---------------------------------------------------
>
> > Suffice it to
> > say that Intel means Windows and Windows is more vulnerable to viruses,
> > cracking, and stability problems as well as almost always equating with
> > increased down-time.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> BullSH*T!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Intel also means Linux. And in case you haven't noticed. Oracle runs
> perfectly on SuSE 7.x and higher, RedHat 7.2 and Higher and probably more
> distro's. So if you want to save money, want stability and security, go for
> Linux on Intel and install ORACLE on it.
> --
> P.M. Groen
> Does Killin' Time Affect The Future?
> I Think It Will, In The End

Welll.... let me clarify a bit. I am adding a server to an environment and the proposed box is a Sun V880. It's not a matter of replacing an existing OS with another, that box will be upgraded in the process of moving into a test server capacity while the new box moves into the production role. I'm looking for some 'quick and dirty' points to make, i.e., improved I/O performance, stability, etc.

Linux isn't on the radar screen at the moment - it will be in the future, but for now it isn't a candidate OS for us for a heavy production environment.

Thanks Folks!

Harv Received on Tue Feb 04 2003 - 11:20:29 CST