Re: Output data from database to CSV without revealing structure?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 03 Feb 2003 23:30:48 GMT

"Allen Gibbons" <agibbons_at_ec.rr.com> wrote:
> I have been asked to extract data from about 100 Oracle database
> tables and output it into comma delimited files. This would be a simple
> task except that the output should NOT reveal any of the structure within
> the database (ie, no normalization, referential integrity, etc.)
>
> Has anyone out there had to do something similar to that described above?

This doesn't make much sense. It sounds like one of those things the pointy haired boss says that makes everyone who can find their ass with both hands in 3 tries or less roll their eyes and groan.

If you include reasonable column names, most of the structure should be readily inferred from them. If you don't, it's fairly easy (for the world of corporate espionage, at least) to use the actual data to infer the structure, and there is commercial software to make this easier. And if you aren't even including the real data, then what is it you are trying to do?

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB