Re: double linked list

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:19:08 -0800

--CELKO-- wrote:

> >> When you are ready to demonstrate a superior implementation in
> another SQL
> RDBMS please let us know. And I don't mean superior in terms of some
> theoretical concept like building a database in fifth normal form. I
> mean superior in terms of performance and scalability in the real
> world. <<
>
> Funny you should ask :)!! I have a book coming out later this year on
> TREES & HIERARCHIES IN SQL (Morgan-Kaufmann), which gives several
> different models in Standard SQL-92 for tree structures which are
> superior in terms of performance and scalability compared to the
> CONNECT BY.
>
> A few years back, we ran a test on a huge tree with the following
> method versus cursors and CONNECT BY; it was 20 to 100 times faster
> for 75,000 nodes and 12 levels deep. It could also do things like
> compare the structures of sub-trees in one SELECT statement.
>
> The usual example of a tree structure in SQL books is called an
> adjacency list model and it looks like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE OrgChart
> (emp CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> boss CHAR(10) DEFAULT NULL REFERENCES OrgChart(emp),
> salary DECIMAL(6,2) NOT NULL DEFAULT 100.00);
>
> OrgChart
> emp boss salary
> ===========================
> 'Albert' 'NULL' 1000.00
> 'Bert' 'Albert' 900.00
> 'Chuck' 'Albert' 900.00
> 'Donna' 'Chuck' 800.00
> 'Eddie' 'Chuck' 700.00
> 'Fred' 'Chuck' 600.00
>
> Another way of representing trees is to show them as nested sets.
> Since SQL is a set oriented language, this is a better model than the
> usual adjacency list approach you see in most text books. Let us
> define a simple OrgChart table like this, ignoring the left (lft) and
> right (rgt) columns for now. This problem is always given with a
> column for the employee and one for his boss in the textbooks. This
> table without the lft and rgt columns is called the adjacency list
> model, after the graph theory technique of the same name; the pairs of
> emps are adjacent to each other.
>
> CREATE TABLE OrgChart
> (emp CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> lft INTEGER NOT NULL UNIQUE CHECK (lft > 0),
> rgt INTEGER NOT NULL UNIQUE CHECK (rgt > 1),
> CONSTRAINT order_okay CHECK (lft < rgt) );
>
> OrgChart
> emp lft rgt
> ======================
> 'Albert' 1 12
> 'Bert' 2 3
> 'Chuck' 4 11
> 'Donna' 5 6
> 'Eddie' 7 8
> 'Fred' 9 10
>
> The organizational chart would look like this as a directed graph:
>
> Albert (1,12)
> / \
> / \
> Bert (2,3) Chuck (4,11)
> / | \
> / | \
> [...]

Thanks for your valiant attempt to sell your book. As I have you on my recommended reading list of authors for my students at the University of Washington no doubt I'll buy a copy if you don't get too terribly offensive.

But unless you are going to state that the above can NOT be done in Oracle ... the fact that CONNECT BY exists is not license to call the product, as you did, 'horrible'.

So are you complaining because there is a less superior method available for those not as technically proficient as you, are you complaining because that less superior implementation doesn't exist in Transact SQL, or are you complaining just because you don't personally work in Oracle? Seems to me the posting you did, that started this thread, was 99% hyperbole and that perhaps a restatement would be appropriate without editorializing would be appropriate.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Feb 03 2003 - 16:19:08 CST