Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Linux

From: Mark Cudworth <markc_at_eskimo.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:01:31 -0600

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes:
>Useko Netsumi wrote:
>
>> I have a very limited memory size, 192MB with 5GB disk space. How can I fit
>> oracle installation to that box so it has at least a decent speed for me to
>> learn oracle.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>You can't.
>
>You don't mention the CPU but I would consider the machine wholly inadequate
>for even a minimal installation.

I just installed 9i on my home machine this weekend, and it ony has 128MB of physical memory. I find the speed to be more than adequate for learning purposes.

To the original poster: you *need* around 512MB of *virtual* memory for Oracle 9i to run on Linux. Make sure that your physical memory + swap adds up to this. Then just don't install too many extras and be patient during the install -- I find the operating performance acceptable, but the installation was slow.

I have another 256MB on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. I didn't see any reason not to get a head start and install 9i with the limited memory while waiting for the extra to arrive.

--
Mark Cudworth