Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Linux

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:51:47 -0800

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in
>
> > Useko Netsumi wrote:
> >
> >> I have a very limited memory size, 192MB with 5GB disk space. How can I
> >> fit oracle installation to that box so it has at least a decent speed
> >> for me to learn oracle.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > You can't.
>
> Actually, you can.
>
> > You don't mention the CPU but I would consider the machine wholly
> > inadequate for even a minimal installation.
>
> I had _four_ Oracle Instances running on a Linux box with 192MB of
> memory: PII @ 266MHz. Obviously they were not speed demons but they
> were adequate for the development and the subsequent testing that
> needed to be done.
> --
> Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> http://www.hpdbe.com

He didn't ask whether it could be installed. He asked "so it has at least a decent speed" and which I think all would agree that isn't going to happen.

But I'm not sure I'm buying four instances of 9i in 192MB on a PII-266. 8i would be a squeeze. 9i? You've got to be kidding.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Feb 01 2003 - 00:51:47 CST