Re: SQL Server Worm devastates Microsoft Corporate networks!

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:02:45 GMT

It has a per process thread limit which you cannot change. The limit is just over 2 thousand I believe. Ran into this with Oracle on NT (they haven't changed the limit) where a dedicated server process spawns a thread. So you were limited to about 1500 concurrent users on the machine(each user gets a thread). (Yes, using MTS - Oracle's multi-threaded service - would have solved the thread limit.) It is a hard limit. So you are right you probably can theoretically have 1,000 or more processes on NT et al, but any given process can only spawn a limited number of threads. Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure