Re: Last Week

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 28 Jan 2003 10:21:51 -0800

Jim Kennedy (kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com) wrote:
: You are correct, I made the mistake assuming that you knew the difference
: between a database and a GUI. Sorry, I won't make such a silly assumption.
: Jim

And I made the silly assumption that you could read english and understand it.

I assumed that discussing the ability to use scripting to modify the layout of forms in both ms access and an oracle forms product would somehow imply I was comparing forms with forms.

I assumed that discussing the logic available for writing reusable data selection sql statements in ms access and oracle would somehow imply I was comparing things that are functionaly similar enough to be comparable.

silly me

: --
: Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
: with family. Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign. You can figure
: it out.
: "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
: news:3e361def_at_news.victoria.tc.ca...
: > Jim Kennedy (kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.com) wrote:
: > : You need to distinguish between the database aspects of ms access and
: the
: > : GUI or form aspects. Comparing a form to a database is like comparing
: > : apples and jet planes - two entirely different things.
: >
: > The original claim, which appears somewhere below, was "nothing you can do
: > in MS Access you can't do in Oracle." This claim does not say I have to
: > compare any specific product, so your claim that i need to distinguish
: > anything is not true. I have compared one important and useful facility
: > that MS Access and Oracle both provide - forms.
: >
: >
: > What ms access calls
: > : a "parameterized view" is just a stored query.
: >
: > Yeah, so? If you provide an ms access application with a set of these
: > "stored query's" then you use them just like views when building the rest
: > of the application. How is this fundamentally different than building and
: > using views in oracle? (But is fundamentally different than something
: > like MySql, which didn't have anything like this functionality last time I
: > checked).
: >
: >
: > Certainly, in Oracle I could
: > : create a procedure that took parameters and returned results (which is
: > : basically the same as a "parameterized view", just syntactically
: expressed
: > : differently.
: >
: > syntactically different - in other words a user cannot use it as a
: > building block to create another view, and is therefore not the same
: > useful building block as a view.
: >
: > Beside, Daniel has introduced me to another function, though I will point
: > out that it is not documented in my "Oracle 8i The Complete Reference" by
: > Oracle Press.
: >
: >
: >
: > : Daniel is correct that the so-called Oracle experts in question who
: couldn't
: > : write a query to get the results as of last week are either lacking in
: basic
: > : abilities of the most rudimentary type or the question is something
: entirely
: > : different than what was posted here.
: >
: > : Jim
: >
: >
: > : "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
: > : news:3e34afc0_at_news.victoria.tc.ca...
: > : > DA Morgan (damorgan_at_exesolutions.com) wrote:
: > : > : Bill wrote:
: > : >
: > : > : > I'm not an Oracle developer but I've been told that it is not
: possible
: > : > : > to create a query that will select records with a date field for
: last
: > : > : > week. I've developed an application in MS Access and the Oracle
: > : > : > people have been trying to convert into into a Oracle query. I
: simply
: > : > : > wished to select records from a table for the previous week. Can
: > : > : > anyone out there provide a general sql query that will work in
: Oracle?
: > : > : >
: > : > : > Your help is appreciated.
: > : > : >
: > : > : > Cheers;
: > : > : >
: > : > : > Bill
: > : >
: > : > : Jim Kennedy's answer is correct and were I you I would have a seious
: > : > : discussion with management about showing whoever gave you such
: incorrect
: > : > : advise, on such an elementary question, to the door before they do
: some
: > : > : real damage.
: > : >
: > : > : It shouldn't take a lot of thinking to realize that there is nothing
: you
: > : > : can do in MS Access you can't do in Oracle. The reverse is far from
: > : true.
: > : >
: > : > Oh contraire
: > : >
: > : > there's lots of thing you can do in ms access that you can't do in
: oracle,
: > : > they just aren't the things that oracle developers expect to do in the
: > : > first place.
: > : >
: > : > I'm not a big fan of ms access, but thst doesn't mean I can't
: appreciate
: > : > some things it does.
: > : >
: > : > e.g. I can recall going into debug mode in ms access and interactively
: > : > running scripting VB code to systematically adjust forms during some
: y2k
: > : > conversions. Ater the changes were systemized then each form was
: modified
: > : > in -almost- batch mode using the developed vb scripts, but still,
: before
: > : > saving the results, the script used to change each form could be
: > : > interactively tweaked and then saved to provide a reusable update for
: > : > later, which also definitively documented the changes that were
: required
: > : > (in a reusable format).
: > : >
: > : > ms access has other nifty features, such as built in support for
: > : > parameterized views. Try writing an oracle view that uses a bind
: > : > variable.
: > : >
: > : > create or replace view tadah as
: > : > select * from table where something = :the_selector;
: > : >
: > : > (Doesn't work).
: >
: >