Re: SQL Server Worm devastates Microsoft Corporate networks!

From: Sinister Midget <xunil_at_kc-rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:41:55 -0600

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:07:49 GMT, simoncooke_at_earthlink.net drooled and scribbled:
> asj <kalim_at_xxxx.com> scribbled:
>

>> Microsoft itself gets hit (and HARD) by the SQL Server worm!
>>
>> stan? hellllo? stan???? what's that cr*p again about lazy admins
>> you've been spouting? microsoft can't even protect itself and you're
>> expecting so many others to be able to do so?
>>
>> "Microsoft's policy of relying on software patches to fix major
>> security flaws was questioned Monday after a series of internal e-
>> mails revealed that the software giant's own network wasn't immune
>> from a worm that struck the Internet last weekend."
>>
>> "The messages seen by CNET News.com portray a company struggling with
>> a massive infection by the SQL Slammer worm, which inundated many
>> corporate networks Saturday with steady streams of data that downed
>> Internet connections and clogged bandwidth."
>>
>> "The messages put Microsoft in an awkward position: The company relies
>> on customers to patch security flaws but the events of last weekend
>> show that even it is vulnerable. In this case, Microsoft urged
>> customers to fix a vulnerability in the SQL Server 2000 software, but
>> it apparently hadn't taken its own advice. Moreover, despite its 1-
>> year-old security push, the software giant still had critical servers
>> vulnerable to Internet attacks."

> Microsoft = Software Development company.
>
> Microsoft's developers use Visual Studio Enterprise edition as their
> basic development tool.
>
> VS EE comes with MSDE 2000 as its default database engine, and is
> installed by default.
>
> You do the math.
>
> Most software developers aren't going to care about patches to SQL
> Server -- especially if they don't use it, or are not running a site. As
> far as they're concerned, it's just a part of their dev system, and one
> they don't look at too often.
>
> *That* is why it caused problems for MS.

Hey!! As a paid/unpaid/stockholding/whatever fulltime advocate for everything $MONOPOLY, you're supposed to pass the buck and blame the stupid admins at these places. That's what they're doing!

It _STILL_ begs the question: How can they (or you, or Ewik, or any of the multitude of winbots here) blame admins for not doing their jobs, yet Micro-Soft gets an out? It's especially egregious when they blame someone for doing the precise same thing they slam everybody else for doing!!

> Simon

Sinister

--
When M$ says "We have new features!" you oughta be thinking of that snake
saying, "Psst, Sweetheart.  Have I got some fruit for YOU!"