Re: SQL Server Worm devastates Microsoft Corporate networks!

From: Sinister Midget <xunil_at_kc-rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 06:22:04 GMT

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:33:35 -0500, kalim_at_xxxx.com drooled and scribbled:
> Microsoft itself gets hit (and HARD) by the SQL Server worm!
>
> stan? hellllo? stan???? what's that cr*p again about lazy admins you've
> been spouting? microsoft can't even protect itself and you're expecting
> so many others to be able to do so?
>
> "Microsoft's policy of relying on software patches to fix major security
> flaws was questioned Monday after a series of internal e-mails revealed
> that the software giant's own network wasn't immune from a worm that
> struck the Internet last weekend."

Effing clueless admin!! I bet these guys are running around, spouting off about how it's all Micro-Soft's fault that they didn't put this simple months-old patch on!! It's a patch sooooooo simple granny could do it. And closing ports. Any professional would know you close all of the ports and nobody can get to anything.

Whadda buncha amateurs these guys must be!! The patch is so old it's almost ready for medicare, fer chrissake!!!

> "The messages seen by CNET News.com portray a company struggling with a
> massive infection by the SQL Slammer worm, which inundated many
> corporate networks Saturday with steady streams of data that downed
> Internet connections and clogged bandwidth."
>
> "The messages put Microsoft in an awkward position: The company relies
> on customers to patch security flaws but the events of last weekend show
> that even it is vulnerable. In this case, Microsoft urged customers to
> fix a vulnerability in the SQL Server 2000 software, but it apparently
> hadn't taken its own advice. Moreover, despite its 1-year-old security
> push, the software giant still had critical servers vulnerable to
> Internet attacks."

I bet it's something simple. Like a third-party driver. Yeah, that's it! And a wet-behind-the-ears sysadmin! Put those two together and *WHAMMO* you have no end to problems. Prolly installed something unauthorized on there, too. Like open source crap, trying to play his stolen MP3s (that Micro-Soft is absolutely right about denying people from using, since they have to steal it from the bankrupt recording industry to get it)!

It's a good thing all of the big important companies don't have to rely on nitwits like that! They go out and get some real talent, not some dimbulb that would let a perfectly good patch rot on the shelf like these guys di......

Oh, wait.....this _IS_ Micro-soft........

Nevermind.

--
I trust Microsoft.
I trust them to be spectacularly unable to get anything right. Even