Problem with TNSNAMES.ORA file setup for FAILOVER_MODE

From: Ryan D'Silva <ryan_at_dsilva.org>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 13:01:01 -0800

Could someone please take a look at this service name setup and let me know where I've gone wrong with it?
We were using Weblogic and the thin driver originally and we switched over to the thick driver to make use of the failover support. The thick (oci9) driver setup worked out well - but I'm getting the following error whenever I try to use FAILOVER_MODE in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

"ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
descriptor"

> TNSPING RDB4
returns an OK for the same service name, but I get that error when I use SQL*PLUS or when weblogic tries to create a connection pool on that service name.

here's the entry for the TNSNAMES.ora file:

RDB4.INTERNALDOMAIN.COM =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
(LOAD_BALANCE = ON)
(FAILOVER = ON)
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = box-sun)(PORT = 3101))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ran-sun)(PORT = 3101))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = RDB4.INTERNALDOMAIN.COM)
(FAILOVER_MODE = (TYPE = SELECT) (METHOD = BASIC))
    )
  )

box-sun is running Oracle 8.1.7 and ran-sun is running 9.2.0.1. I realize they should be the same, but I expected to recieve an error later on in the process - not at the service_name resolution. Any help would be appreciated - I'm feel like I've reached a dead end here.

Thank you,
- Ryan Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 15:01:01 CST