Re: Last Week

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:36:49 -0800

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

> DA Morgan (damorgan_at_exesolutions.com) wrote:
> : Bill wrote:
>
> : > I'm not an Oracle developer but I've been told that it is not possible
> : > to create a query that will select records with a date field for last
> : > week. I've developed an application in MS Access and the Oracle
> : > people have been trying to convert into into a Oracle query. I simply
> : > wished to select records from a table for the previous week. Can
> : > anyone out there provide a general sql query that will work in Oracle?
> : >
> : > Your help is appreciated.
> : >
> : > Cheers;
> : >
> : > Bill
>
> : Jim Kennedy's answer is correct and were I you I would have a seious
> : discussion with management about showing whoever gave you such incorrect
> : advise, on such an elementary question, to the door before they do some
> : real damage.
>
> : It shouldn't take a lot of thinking to realize that there is nothing you
> : can do in MS Access you can't do in Oracle. The reverse is far from true.
>
> Oh contraire
>
> there's lots of thing you can do in ms access that you can't do in oracle,
> they just aren't the things that oracle developers expect to do in the
> first place.
>
> I'm not a big fan of ms access, but thst doesn't mean I can't appreciate
> some things it does.
>
> e.g. I can recall going into debug mode in ms access and interactively
> running scripting VB code to systematically adjust forms during some y2k
> conversions. Ater the changes were systemized then each form was modified
> in -almost- batch mode using the developed vb scripts, but still, before
> saving the results, the script used to change each form could be
> interactively tweaked and then saved to provide a reusable update for
> later, which also definitively documented the changes that were required
> (in a reusable format).
>
> ms access has other nifty features, such as built in support for
> parameterized views. Try writing an oracle view that uses a bind
> variable.
>
> create or replace view tadah as
> select * from table where something = :the_selector;
>
> (Doesn't work).

You made a point. But it wasn't the one you intended. What you are referring to are front-end features not database features. And I've little doubt you have no idea what debug capabilities are built into Oracle. Have you ever worked with explain plan? tkprof? trace files? the DBMS_DEBUG built-in package?

I thought not!

And your comment about parameterized views is preposterous on its face. Explore, for example, the numerous examples everywhere on the use of the SYS_CONTEXT built-in function.

I think what you see lacking in Oracle is your own knowledge of the product. Rather than criticizing you, or you criticizing Oracle, I would suggest that you go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and start learning more about the product you work with.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 10:36:49 CST