Re: Newbie question on trigger

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:58:10 GMT

"Andreas Schlegel" <schlegelaw_at_epost.de> wrote in message news:3E352EDC.5070409_at_epost.de...

> To enforce the integrity by foreign constraints I also have to rewrite
> huge parts of the application. On the long run I do it. But on the short
> run I need an other solution (I thought about the trigger).

I'd like to give you an advice as someone who has been involved for years in the porting of hundreds of tables from several IBM/Unisys/Godknowswhatelse platforms (20+ years old) to Unix-Oracle. Do it now or you won't do it at all in the future. As soon as you switch on the application, forget to switch if off for "internal improvements", they won't be listening to you. If your subsequent changes cause problems to your clients, you'll be in trouble trying to justify what happened. On the contrary, if you do it now, you can say that is the right way to handle the matter and it will take whatever it takes. Moreover you have the opportunity to discover a lot of inconsistencies in the data before they are replicated to the new environment and take the appropriate steps to correct the situation. Afterwards it could be nearly impossible to amend the data. Of course you are free to embark yourself in homebrewn referential constraints, but keep that as last chance not as the first one. The time spent today will pay off in the long run.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 08:58:10 CST