Re: Newbie question on trigger

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:00:16 +0300

Both tasks are accomplished via declarative integrity constraints (FOREIGN KEYs). Oracle automatically enforces them and you don't need any triggers for this. With proper foreign key constraints in place Oracle won't allow you to delete a row from parent table if it has any children (unless your FK is ON DELETE CASCADE or ON DELETE SET NULL), and it won't allow you to insert a row into child table if there's no corresponding referenced key in parent, as well as update it so that it goes out of parent-children relationship scope. Consult Oracle Concepts manual and SQL Reference for more information on Referential Integrity Constraints (use this as search term on http://tahiti.oracle.com if you don't have printed manuals or docs CD.)