Re: First Email of the Day (Re: Flatfish read this!)

From: Charlie Ebert <_at_debianpals.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:34:17 GMT

In article <#WVy#5bxCHA.440_at_TK2MSFTNGP12>, Robert Stinnett wrote:

> That's the reason he's the IT head and you aren't... because he doesn't
> believe all the BS idiots like you send to him.
>
> "asj" <kalim_at_xxxx.com> wrote in message news:3E34B5AC.7B38_at_xxxx.com...

>> i'm sending out one email first thing tomorrow that will sum it all up
>> to our IT head (and maybe other people can do the same):
>>
>> "THANK GOD WE DON'T RUN MICROSOFT SQL SERVER!" *
>>
>> * add links to the freaking mess SQL server created.
>>
>> oh, yeah, for those of you wintrolls complaining about lax patches, tell
>> that to all those large multinationals that STILL got hit. the point is
>> to NOT have to install f*cking MS patches every other freaking weekend!
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/01/26/internet.attack/index.html
>>
>> "Experts fear Monday could bring new outbreaks of the fast-moving
>> computer worm that snarled business and government computers Saturday,
>> slowing some corporate systems tothe point of inaccessibility.
>>
>> "Several companies, including Continental Airlines and Bank of America
>> Corp., reported widespread computer problems Saturday.
>>
>> "Bank of America, one of the nation's largest banks, said many customers
>> could not withdraw money from its 13,000 ATMs because of technical
>> problems caused by the attack, according to The Associated Press. A
>> spokeswoman, Lisa Gagnon, told the AP that the bank restored service to
>> nearly all ATMs by late Saturday afternoon and that customers' money and
>> personal information had not been at risk.
>>
>> "Continental said the worm attack led to scattered delays of no more
>> than 90 minutes. Spokesman Jeff Walt said Continental's hub at Newark,
>> New Jersey, was the most affected, but problems were also reported in
>> Houston, Texas, and Cleveland, Ohio.
>>

>> asj wrote:
>> >
>> > two side by side headlines in cnn.com:
>> >
>> > gates (again!) promising greater security for microsoft products, AND a
>> > headline on the new SQL Server worm wreaking havoc on Microsoft SQL
>> > server 2000 users. no wonder we use oracle and apache instead.
>> >
>> > side by side pic:
>> > http://www.blueboard.com/temp/news_headlines.gif
>> >
>> > stories:
>> >
>> > SQL Server 2000 Devastation:
>> >
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/01/25/internet.attack.ap/index.html

>> > Security (or non-security) of microsoft products:
>> >

> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/01/25/microsoft.security.ap/index.html >

Here we go Flatfish.

Here's a current, modern day example of why Debian's system is worthwhile!

You need the long beta to make sure the base system has been completely tested!

The longer the beta the more time they have to test, the better the release.

And BTW to the poster who replied to this, MS is guilty of not beta testing their software enough to eliminate this.

Plain and simple.

And just as plain and simple, MS is hurting the very economic base the interenet represents to all of us.

It's a *PROVEN* poor choice for an internet bound OS.

Time and time again! Time and time again!

Last time they shut the internet down as code red. Now it's this. Next year it will be something else.

And as usual, the patch to fix it this time was based on one weeks work and testing.

If we built commerical airplanes this way, the government would have to shut the airways down for public safety.

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/13/0249250&mode=thread&tid=172

Charlie