Re: More efficient way to exp / imp

From: C Chang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:53:49 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:

> C Chang wrote:
>
> > I have a 3 G database on a NT 4 (P-550) box installed with 8.1.6
> > oracle. There are 5 X 16 G HD and 1 G RAM. I tried to export and
> > import the DB and found that my current methods are not faster enough.
> > What i did were either to use Full=Y or fromuser=.. in export and import
> > back accordingly. But both way are too slow and took at least 48 hours
> > to finish. I examined my system and found that the only full tablespace
> > is one of the tablespaces for data, rest of tablespace is quite empty.
> > Therefore I can not use the imp commit=N, which could not extend the
> > tablespace during the import. I also read the articles from other
> > reference (One-on-One ) and websites for clues. I am wondering that
> > dividing the DB to several export files will speed up? or export/import
> > the DB table by table, then indexed. I have never done those. Can
> > anyone have done either one sharing their experience? Thanks.
> >
> > C Chang
>
> What are you going to do with the export? That might help us make a
> suggestion.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Thanks everyone, especial Daniel. I have seen your name in a lot of response. Great help. Let me say first that I am not DBA or either SQL programmer in our project, I am part time web programmer, part time tester, part time Web Administor..., You got my point. Therefor you have to keep patient with my inability to major ORACLE stuffs. I basically followed our old DBA instructions for a Full Export. I believe something like:
exp sys/password file=E:\oracle_dump\myexp.dmp full=y indexes=yes consistent=yes compress=n log=E:\oracle_dump\expToday.log

Then I used imp sys/password file=I:\oracle_dump\myexp fromuser=SpecificUser touser=SpecificUser commit=y log=impToday.log , Which tooks 40 hours to finish. I tried to use commit=n, but it generated error about the tablespace and extension. Then I also tried to import only with the table as imp sys/password file=I:\oracle_dump\myexp fromuser=SpecificUser touser=SpecificUser tables=(oneOftable) log=impToday.log But it also failed with a reason ( I forgot to copy down and I will bring next post)
I also tried with import withn indexfile=theIndexFile.sql, but it creates something scripts that does not mean anything. As result, I have been running out of my skills. I hope anyone that has more experience can threw in some tips. Great appreciate.

C Chang Received on Sun Jan 26 2003 - 22:53:49 CST