Re: OEM Table Editor discrepancies

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:30:37 GMT

"Paul Murphy" <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com> wrote in message news:kTzY9.8635$ZA1.2005788_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > However you seem to somehow expect Oracle to sort rows ... and it never
> ever
> > will unless you explicitly use the ORDER BY clause and specify an order.
> > Otherwise ... basic Oracle tables are heap tables ... and the data is,
by
> > definition, unordered and any tool retrieving it can retrieve it any way
> it
> > wishes.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> The sorting I was talking about is if you use an ORDER BY clause in
SQL*Plus
> such as:
>
> SELECT * FROM Sherlock ORDER BY title;
>
> SQL*Plus will order all the rows by title with capital letters being
sorted
> before lowercase letters.
>
> If you are in the OEM Table Editor and click the column label button, it
> will sort by that column (just like an ORDER BY clause) except, it will
sort
> lowercase and uppercase together a=A, b=B, etc. so the rows end up in a
> different order than when you issue an ORDER BY in SQL*Plus. Whereas in
> SQL*Plus T=84 and t=116 for ordering purposes.
>
> I've been using OEM's "Show SQL" button to get to know a lot of the
> administrative SQL commands, but in this particular case, it seems like an
> OEM action is not just an underlying SQL statement. No big deal, but I
just
> thought I'd let people know, because it can make it more difficult to
> visually compare the output to find out which row is missing if you end up
> with my missing row problem.
>
> Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond, especially about the
> missing row issue.
> -Paul Murphy

I think you could try to search the text of the query perfomed by OEM by inspecting the V$SQLTEXT_WITH_NEWLINES view. There are tons of queries listed there so you need to figure out which one is yours, I'd suggest adding some unique literal at the beginning of the select statement so that you can quickly filter it using LIKE '%<literal>%' on the sql_text field.
For more information please read Oracle Reference manual, "dynamic views" chapter.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Sun Jan 26 2003 - 04:30:37 CST